A group of related eye disorders which harm the optic nerve which carries information from eye to brain is known as Glaucoma.
It is also known as "silent thief of sight " as Glaucoma causes no pain, also there are no such noticeable symptoms until the vision loss occurs. The regular loss of nerve tissues causes blurred vision or complete vision loss.
Below the article discusses every single thing about Glaucoma like its types, causes, Risk factors, signs & symptoms, and it's treatment.
There are 2 types of Glaucoma
* Open Angle Glaucoma - This type of Glaucoma is very common. It is found in more than 90% of cases. It is also known as primary or chronic Glaucoma. According to a recent survey, this type is affecting more than 3 millions of Americans.
• It is caused by clogging of the drainage canal resulting in increased pressure in eyes.
• It has a broad & open angle in between the iris and cornea.
• It develops very slowly and is a life long condition.
• No noticeable symptoms are there.
* Angle Closure Glaucoma - This type of Glaucoma is very rare. Also to remember, it is very different from the open angle as the eye pressure in this type rises very quickly as compared to the open angle glaucoma.
It is also known as acute or narrow-angle glaucoma.
• It occurs when there is a rise in intraocular pressure resulting in blockage of drainage canals.
• It has a narrow-angle in between the iris and cornea.
• It has symptoms which are noticeable very easily.
• it developed very quickly & hence requires immediate medical attention.
CAUSES OF GLAUCOMA
Scientists & Researchers all around the world are still not sure about the exact cause of Glaucoma, why it happens? But the majority of the cases are basically classified in Primary Glaucoma & Secondary Glaucoma.
Primary Glaucoma - When no specific cause is directly linked to the situation of the patient, it is known as primary glaucoma.
Secondary Glaucoma - When there is some specific cause directly linked to the situation of the patient, it is known as secondary glaucoma.
Direct causes can be as follows -
• Inflammation of the eye
• Advanced cataract
• Herdity - Patients with a family history of disease can develop it.
• Age - According to a research after the age of 60, people are more likely to develop this disease.
• Medical Conditions - A previous history of blood pressure fluctuations, heart disease, or diabetes also increases the risks of Glaucoma.
• Injury - An injury can increase the pressure inside the eye resulting in damaging the optic nerve.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
The symptoms in this disease may vary from person to person.
A person with open-angle glaucoma will feel a loss of peripheral vision which affects both the eyes at the same time.
People with the other type of glaucoma i.e. Angle-closure glaucoma may face the following symptoms -
• Blurred vision
• Nausea & vomiting
• Severe pain in the eye
• Redness in eyes
• Vision problem in mid light
TREATMENT OF GLAUCOMA
For people suffering from open-angle Glaucoma, medication is required immediately. First of all, medication to reduce the pain is given. Then a procedure known as Iridotomy is conducted to reduce the pressure in the eye.
For people suffering from angle closure Glaucoma, these procedures are followed -
• Eye Drop
• Aqueous Shunt Implant
Below are some of the best hospitals in India for the treatment of Glaucoma.
• Medanta Medicity, Delhi
• Max Healthcare, Saket
• Shankara Nethralaya Eye Hospital, Chennai
• Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute, Mumbai
• Spectra Eye Hospital, New Delhi
• Gleneagles Global, Chennai